Reports To: Director and Sr. Corporate Counsel, Contracts
Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school; admitted to at least one State Bar
5-10 years of experience drafting and negotiating a variety of contracts, some of which is relevant to the life sciences industry
We are seeking a dynamic contracts/transactional attorney to complement our growing internal Legal Department as we further our vision to develop and commercialize molecularly targeted and immuno-oncology cancer therapeutics. This individual will be instrumental in supporting the business needs of our global company and its ventures by serving as one of the legal contacts for contracting matters.
- Draft, negotiate and manage a high volume and wide variety of contracts, including confidentiality, consulting, service, research, supply, material transfer and clinical trial agreements
- Provide practical legal advice and support directly to business and scientific teams during contract preparation and negotiation
- Assist in implementing new contracts policies and procedures
- Train and guide business teams on the use of contract templates, relevant legal issues, and good contracting practices
- Assist in implementing and managing contract management tools and other technology adopted by the Legal Department. Help ensure the contract repository is accurate and up to date
- Serve as a liaison with outside counsel and manage vendors, as requested
- Generate reports, presentations, spreadsheets, memos and other documents for the Legal Department, clients and/or the senior management team, as requested
- Conduct research, as needed
- Complete special projects such as collaborating on department-wide or company-wide initiatives, as requested
This position does not have managerial responsibility or budgetary discretion.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically in accordance with BeiGene’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, policies and procedures.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and within budget.
Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, CTMS and CMS/similar system
- Prior in-house experience as a member of a legal department or clinical affairs department in a biotechnology or pharmaceuticals company strongly preferred
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills
- Working knowledge of pharmaceutical and other relevant laws and regulations and ability to interpret and apply such laws and regulations and policies to inform business activities
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate, as well as to work independently, balancing competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with a high level of professionalism
- Highly effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information using excellent discretion and judgment
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and be reliable and responsive
- Ability to be flexible and willing to accept new responsibilities as needed
- Experience implementing contracts processes and technology solutions a plus
Travel: Up to 10%