Department: Licensing & Business Development
Reports To: SVP Business Development
- D. or advanced degree in the biological sciences in the field of Oncology or Immuno-Oncology plus MBA or similar advanced degree
- Fluency in English (verbal, written, and negotiations) and fluency in one additional language, Mandarin or German is a plus
Role and Responsibilities:
Drive and coordinate the search, evaluation, and due diligence process to identify pre-clinical, clinical, and commercial stage opportunities in the field of Oncology and Immuno-Oncology
Identify areas of innovation and growth opportunities aligned with BeiGene’s strategy
Leverage and continuously strengthen broad industry network to secure the identification of the most attractive partnering opportunities
Lead high profile cross-functional teams and provide strong project management skills to ensure that key risks and opportunities are identified, captured, and presented in an unbiased way to senior management for decision making
Provide business development expertise and design partnering structures tailored to the profile of each envisioned collaboration
Provide outstanding transaction skills through the entire deal making process to secure and implement attractive deals
Proactively monitor the external business environment and maintain a knowledge base of licensing transactions and other company activities
Drive contribution from colleagues for scientific, legal, intellectual property, finance, communication, and commercial and lead term sheet and contract negotiations
Promotes BeiGene as the partner of choice at business partnering meetings and scientific conferences
Skills and Competencies:
- 10+ years industry experience with at least 5+ years in Business Development
- Scientific expertise in Oncology and Immuno-Oncology including drug development – understanding of assets covered in deals/alliances
- Proven track record at sourcing, structuring, negotiating and closing different types of partnerships from discovery stage assets till commercialization stage
- Demonstrated history of leading international, global, and cross-functional teams and strategic corporate initiatives
- Strong project management skills, ability to ensure effective/efficient decision making and issue resolution competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multitask and perform under pressure to meet challenging deadlines
- Outstanding time management and demonstrated delivery of continued high-quality work in a fast pace ever changing environment
- Financial modelling and commercial forecast expertise
- Established network of contacts in key academic institutions, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, VC community
- Ability to work efficiently and proactively, as part of a global team located in different innovation hubs
- Ability to synthesize and present to senior executives, including Board, a complex set of facts (i.e. scientific, clinical, financial, and market information) to facilitate the decision-making process
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- Passion for driving projects to conclusion
- Experience at performing in the context of a fast pace biotech, multicultural, global organization where working across boundaries and leading through influence are keys to success
- Position requires both domestic and international travel up to 60% of time depending on projects
- Normal and routine office duties
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.