The Director/Associate Director, Alliance Management is responsible for managing and optimizing the value of BeiGene’s alliances at all stages of the product life cycle (research, development, and commercial). Alliances include joint ventures and in- and out-licensing of products, upon close of the partnership agreement. The position will be based in Emeryville, California and will have dual responsibilities between Business Development and Clinical Development. The Director/Associate Director, Alliance Management will be responsible for ensuring that all terms of the partnership agreement are adhered to by both parties, and that BeiGene is ultimately perceived as a “partner of choice” while upholding the best interests of BeiGene.
- Key responsible party for overseeing the execution of the partnership agreement, including participation in governance committees and working group meetings – identify key issues, set meeting agendas, schedule, ensure BeiGene team is prepared with their deliverables, pre-meeting prep, etc.
- Work with partner company to set the direction and scope for implementation of the partnership agreement: key activities, timing and responsibilities on either side
- Regularly communicate with partner alliance management counterpart and other key partner stakeholders as needed, including ad hoc communications/events that require cross-functional communication
- Crisis management – identify and address hot topic issues that require immediate attention while working diligently to minimize crisis management situations
- Regularly collect/develop and control quality of forecasts as appropriate to support financial planning activities
- Perform regular alliance audits and “health checks”
Intra-company coordination and collaboration:
- Compliance/contract management – liaise with Business Development, Legal, Finance, Clinical Development, Commercial and other functions to ensure that key contract milestones, financial transactions, progress reports, etc. are handled appropriately, and also to provide information/updates as needed
- Monitor implementation of and adherence to agreed-upon research, development and commercialization plans; take appropriate action to ensure execution
- Conduct regular reviews/meetings with senior management and other functions as appropriate to communicate key issues, milestones, etc. and gather feedback
- Lead and/or participate in contract renegotiations as appropriate
- Participate in review of new partner contract negotiations as appropriate and provide input into partnership execution terms of the contract, such as governance structures and processes
- Build expertise about partner company, including company organization/leadership, strategies, financials, priorities, etc.; become BeiGene “internal expert” on partner company
- Participate in alliance management group meetings to review progress and issues and share best practices
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of a BA/BS is required, while an advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MS, MBA, MD) is desirable in a discipline related to drug development or business.
Experience and Qualifications:
- 7-10-year experience in the pharmaceutical, life sciences or related industry, preferably in commercial, business development, or project leader/project management role
- 5-year experience in Alliance Management, Program Management, Business Development or related function
- Strong experience in drug development
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and resolve key project and partnership issues
- Demonstrated attention to detail and excellence in project management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work with and coordinate demands from multiple customers, both internally and with partners. Must be able to handle ambiguity well.
- Participation in development and life cycle management project teams
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; MS Project is a plus
- Ability to develop, manage and lead effective teams
- Ability to relate and work with wide range of people (internal and external) to achieve results
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Negotiating/influencing and conflict resolution skills
- Business acumen
- Priority setting
- Problem solving
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Technical skills and knowledge
- Time management and organization skills
- Self-motivated, flexible and resilient
- Commitment to professional development of oneself, team members and department