Reports To: Sr. Director, Legal Operations
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science required.
Paralegal certificate required.
BeiGene’s first Paralegal will join and support the diverse needs of our experienced and dynamic in-house legal team, primarily in the area of corporate governance. The Paralegal will also assist with other legal responsibilities and initiatives at BeiGene, including invoice administration and litigation, privacy and security support.
- Corporate Governance Support. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting with the production and dissemination materials for Board and committee meetings;
- Drafting Board and Committee agendas, minutes, consents and resolutions;
- Managing BeiGene’s electronic Board portal;
- Managing BeiGene’s Cayman corporate record portal;
- Managing BeiGene’s due diligence dataroom;
- Managing BeiGene’s subsidiary portfolio (e.g., subsidiary maintenance and housekeeping, ensuring registrations are current and obtaining good standing certificates);
- Coordinating matters relating to Board and shareholder meetings;
- Helping with communication with stock exchange;
- Helping with preparation of SEC disclosures, including Section 16 filings, periodic and current reports and proxy statements; and
- Ensuring meticulous corporate recordkeeping.
- Drafting and negotiating simple agreements and documents, including confidential disclosure agreements, purchase contracts, consulting agreements, terminations and amendments.
- Assisting legal team members with drafting and negotiation of more complex contracts and documents upon request.
- Invoice Administration. Responsibilities include:
- Reviewing legal department invoices to ensure compliance with billing guidelines and discounts;
- Tracking, securing approvals for and ensuring timely payment of legal department invoices; and
- Providing assistance with e-billing system implementation and managing system once implemented.
- Litigation Support. Responsibilities include supporting e-discovery, legal holds, document reviews, trial preparation and file organization.
- Privacy and Security Support. Facilitating privacy and security compliance, which may include document drafting, assisting with regulatory filings, data mapping and client communications.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not currently have managerial responsibility or budgetary discretion.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically in accordance with BeiGene’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, policies and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
- Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
- Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Dependability – Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and within budget.
Proficiency in the Microsoft suite of tools including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel; as well as project management applications such as Microsoft Project and Visio.
Other Qualifications and Experience:
- At least 5 years of professional paralegal or equivalent experience, preferably at a publicly listed pharmaceutical or biotech company
- Bachelor’s Degree and Paralegal certificate required
- Notary Public or willingness to become one
- Experience maintaining corporate subsidiaries
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information using excellent discretion and judgment
- Self-motivation and ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Ability to be flexible and willing to accept new responsibilities in a fast-paced, multi-project environment