Department: Medical Affairs
Reports To: VP, Medical Affairs
MD, PharmD., PhD, or DO, within a clinical and/or scientific profession (or an equivalent level of professional, clinical and/or scientific education, training and experience) required.
Hours: 40 hours/week
Over-time and weekend travel may be required on occasion
The Senior Field Medical Director (FMD) will support BeiGene Pre-Clinical and Clinical pipeline development by coordinating external collaborations, research endeavors with heath care providers and external academicians while ensuring internal partnership across the organization. The candidate will report to the VP of Medical Affairs who, in turn, reports to a Chief Medical Officer.
As a leader in the organization, the incumbent will be accountable to develop regional strategies to support enduring and compliant relationships with Opinion Leaders, Research Collaborators & Key Organizations in support of BeiGene pipeline development across all therapeutic areas. This position will require pre-launch and post-launch Medical Affairs support for both solid tumor and hematology pipeline development. Specifically, the incumbent will work closely with internal colleagues in medical affairs, clinical development, program leadership, clinical operations, legal, compliance, new product planning, safety/pharmacovigilance, molecular diagnostics, and translational research.
The incumbent will play a key role in the establishment of BeiGene as a valued collaborator and best-in-class biopharmaceutical company.
Essential Functions of the job:
- Establish and maintain scientifically credible peer-to-peer scientific relationships with national & regional opinion leaders in addition to other healthcare providers
- Viewed as a Scientific Partner by KOLs
- Facilitate & monitor strategic partnerships with scientific/clinical experts and serve as an enterprise-level point of contact with organizations including but not limited to –
- Guideline development
- Cooperative groups
- Other (National Cancer institutions)
- Serve as an internal resource of clinical and scientific information from medical interactions
- Provide impactful feedback/information to internal stakeholders on emerging clinical and scientific trends
- Contribute to or perform therapeutic area/indication research and competitor analysis
- Assist in the development and execution of clinically relevant regional medical meetings (e.g., advisory boards, consultant, and investigator meetings), as requested
- Identification and verification of investigators and sites for company-sponsored clinical trials
- At the request of Development Core Team (DCT) lead, assigned FMD asset lead will assist BeiGene sponsored trial(s)
- Provides Medical Affairs with regular trial updates
- Regularly communicates with Clinical Development/Operation Teams regarding feedback from field
- Supports study team in identifying strategies/tactics for successful study execution
- Serve as a liaison for the submission and review of Investigator Sponsored Research proposals
- May work cross-functionality to provide balanced and accurate information to top regional formulary decision makers and/or P&T committee members
- Build strong relationships with internal experts.
- Identify continuous process improvement opportunities.
- Develop, track, execute and report on goals and objectives.
- Support Medical Affairs budget planning and management.
- Be accountable for compliant business practices.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience and success within other biotech/pharmaceutical companies.
- Clinical oncology experience; candidates with exceptional experience in other therapeutic areas would be considered if they demonstrated clear potential to apply their existing skills to oncology.
- High level of communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, and cross functional collaboration skills.
- Flexibility to work with colleagues in a global setting.
- Able to engage in work-related travel approximately 70%.
Capabilities and Competencies:
- Impactful verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic environment.
- Strong comprehension of disease states, and knowledge of differential algorithms for treatment decisions and experience in disease states of interest to BeiGene.
- An expert understanding of the health care delivery system, including the managed care arena and its impact on patient care, regional medical care and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Ability to identify the unmet medical, educational, and research needs at a local & regional level in the medical community.
- Ability to interpret key scientific data and translate the findings to meet educational and research needs in order to affect corporate research strategic activities/decisions.
- Understanding of the design and execution of research studies and strategic implications.
- Exhibits high degree of emotional intelligence and appreciation of diversity and multiculturalism.
- Designs and/or leads training initiatives and best practices.
- Proven ability to drive results at a high level of quality as a strategic and creative thinker.
- Demonstrates ability to deal with ambiguity and thrive in an ever-changing environment.
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to manage projects and/or colleagues in successful implementation of business-critical projects.
- Strong time management & organizational skills.
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Veeva).
Location: Remote U.S. location
Travel: Work related travel approximately 70%
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.