Department: Medical Affairs
Reports to: Director of Medical Affairs
Education Required: Degree in a scientific discipline. Advanced degree is preferred (i.e. MS, Pharm.D., or PhD). 5-7 years of experience within the pharmaceutical industry, a consulting organization, and/or a medical communications company as a publication manager.
Hours: 40 hours/week
Over-time and weekend travel may be required on occasion
This position will be responsible for managing the delivery of high-quality scientific publications (manuscripts, congress abstracts, presentations, and posters) as well as scientific communication in support of BeiGene products. Critical competencies include managing publication plans and effective leadership of cross-functional teams. This is a Headquarters-based position, with no direct reports.
Essential Functions of the job:
- Responsible for managing vendors in support of producing high-quality publications for all BeiGene products.
- Lead Publication Review Committee and facilitating Medical, Regulatory, and Compliance (MRC) review in development of new publication concepts.
- Facilitate and drive cross-functional development of scientific statements and lexicon.
- Contribute to the overall scientific communication strategy, demonstrating a strong knowledge of the therapeutic landscape.
- Support the development of training materials related to BeiGene and competitor congress presentations.
- Interact with external authors and collaborators within Global / Regional Medical Affairs, Drug Development, and Drug Discovery organizations to develop and review publication content.
- Manage external agencies involved in the writing, editing, formatting and submission of articles to peer-reviewed scientific journals and scientific/medical conferences.
- Write and/or edit publications as needed.
- Track and report the progress of publication development, (with vendor support) to document project status, drafts, author comments, and BeiGene reviews/approvals.
- Understand published guidelines for authorship and good publication practices.
- Ensure that publication activities are within company policies, procedures and good publications practices.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
- 5-7 years of experience
- Experience in hematology/oncology or immuno-oncology preferred.
- High level of communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, and cross functional collaboration skills.
- Flexibility to work with colleagues in a global setting
Capabilities and Competencies:
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple projects; ability to multitask and work both independently and within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Understand the clinical development process, especially clinical study data and outcome measures in hematology/oncology.
- Ability to critically appraise and apply knowledge gained from the medical/scientific literature.
- Strong interpersonal skills for effective professional communications, aiming to cultivate strong working relationships with both internal and external groups.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex medical/scientific information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Outlook, Excel, Power Point) is required, as well as familiarity and working knowledge of key software applications relevant to publication planning and implementation
- Familiarity with “Promomats”
- Level of position commensurate with experience.
Locations: Emeryville, CA or San Mateo, CA
Travel: Work related travel approximately 25%
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds BGNE organizational values
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.