10 Year Anniversary
BeiGene's co-founders, John V. Oyler and Dr. Xiaodong Wang, set out to build a company to create impactful medicines that would be affordable and accessible to people living with cancer around the world. On our 10th anniversary, the mission remains the same - striving to improve the health and well-being of all patients, regardless of location or income, through courage, persistent innovation, and challenging the status quo.
Although BeiGene is geographically dispersed as we continue to expand our global footprint, we are united as a team through our commitment to accelerating the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative therapies for the treatment of cancer and other chronic diseases. Over the next decade, we’ll continue to pursue innovative ways of doing things at all levels and maintain a relentless dedication to quality and compliance, while keeping patients at the forefront of all we do.
Learn more about some of the most notable moments in our last decade and our hopes for the future.
- BeiGene was founded as a research and development company
- Established the first R&D center in Beijing
- Initiated PARP and RAF discovery programs
- Initiated PD-1 and BTK discovery programs
- Began clinical development of lifirafenib in Australia
- Began clinical development of pamiparib and zanubrutinib in Australia
- Began clinical development in China
- Expanded into the U.S. with the first office established in Cambridge, MA
- Became the first Chinese-born biotech to go public on Nasdaq with a $182 million IPO
- Completed construction of the Suzhou small molecule manufacturing facility
- Initiated the first global Phase 3 registrational trial of zanubrutinib
- Entered global strategic immuno-oncology collaboration with Celgene on tislelizumab
- Absorbed Celgene’s commercial operation in China
- Established first European office in Switzerland
- Completed dual primary listing on Hong Kong Stock Exchange with a $902 million IPO
- Expanded into Europe with opening of the Basel office
- Secured National Reimbursement in China for both Revlimid® and Vidaza®
- Received first FDA approval for BRUKINSA® (zanubrutinib)
- Received first approval for tislelizumab in China
- Entered a global strategic collaboration with Amgen
- Completed the initial phase of BeiGene Guangzhou Bio-Manufacturing Base
- Established BeiGene Suzhou Research Institute
- Received first approvals for BRUKINSA® in China
- Received additional approvals for tislelizumab in China
- Completed a registered direct offering of approx. $2.07 billion
- Submitted the first new drug application for pamiparib in China
"BeiGene has been a pioneer of the China biotech industry, and has changed the perception that there is no innovative medicine in China. We have inspired many more biotech companies."
What is special about BeiGene culture that you want to preserve for the next 10 years?
"Our 'can do' mindset."
"The past 10 years have been very worthwhile. But what's past is prologue. We are now at a new starting point. We should not be obsessed by the past - we should not fear challenges we may face in the future. Just do what you believe in. This is my message for the next 10 years!"
"I look forward to the successes of first-in-class or first-in-combination drugs coming out of our pipeline that are discovered and developed by BeiGene scientists."
What three words would you use to describe BeiGene?
"Entrepreneurship. Hardworking. Creative."
What was the biggest challenge and opportunity for the company 10 years ago?
"I think high morale and clear goals may be the most memorable things in my mind."