10 Year Anniversary
BeiGene's co-founders, John V. Oyler and Dr. Xiaodong Wang, set out to build a company to create impactful medicines that would be affordable and accessible to people living with cancer around the world. On our 10th anniversary, the mission remains the same - striving to improve the health and well-being of all patients, regardless of location or income, through courage, persistent innovation, and challenging the status quo.
Although BeiGene is geographically dispersed as we continue to expand our global footprint, we are united as a team through our commitment to accelerating the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative therapies for the treatment of cancer and other chronic diseases. Over the next decade, we’ll continue to pursue innovative ways of doing things at all levels and maintain a relentless dedication to quality and compliance, while keeping patients at the forefront of all we do.
Learn more about some of the most notable moments in our last decade and our hopes for the future.
- BeiGene was founded as a research and development company
- Established the first R&D center in Beijing
- Initiated PARP and RAF discovery programs
- Initiated PD-1 and BTK discovery programs
- Began clinical development of lifirafenib in Australia
- Began clinical development of pamiparib and zanubrutinib in Australia
- Began clinical development in China
- Expanded into the U.S. with the first office established in Cambridge, MA
- Became the first biotech to go public on Nasdaq in 2016 after a months-long offering freeze with a $182 million IPO
- Initiated the first global Phase 3 registrational trial of zanubrutinib
- Entered a global strategic immuno-oncology collaboration with Celgene (now Bristol Myers Squibb) on tislelizumab
- Transformed into a commercial-stage company by absorbing Celgene’s commercial operation in China
- Completed construction of the Suzhou multi-functional manufacturing facility
- Completed dual primary listing on Hong Kong Stock Exchange with a $902 million IPO
- Expanded into Europe with opening of the Basel office
- Secured national reimbursement in China for both Revlimid® and Vidaza®*
- Received the first FDA approval for BRUKINSA® (zanubrutinib)
- Received the first approval for tislelizumab in China
- Entered a global strategic oncology collaboration with Amgen
- Completed the first plant of the Guangzhou biologics manufacturing facility
- Established BeiGene Suzhou Research Institute
- Received the first approvals for BRUKINSA® in China
- Received the second approval for tislelizumab in China
- Completed a registered direct offering of approx. $2.07 billion
- Secured national reimbursement in China for tislelizumab, BRUKINSA®, and XGEVA®**
- Established the Shanghai R&D center
- Entered a global strategic collaboration with Novartis
- Received the third approval for tislelizumab in China
- Received the first approval for pamiparib in China
"From the very beginning, Xiaodong and I wanted to build a company that would improve the lives of patients around the world for generations to come. As we reflect on this anniversary, we are even more steadfast in our commitment to deliver on our promise. Our efforts are fueled by our global team who have dedicated their careers to fighting disease, and we are inspired by the patients, doctors, and our partners who entrust us to challenge the status quo. Today, and in the future, we will work to develop medicines more quickly and more affordably because we know patients are waiting."
"BeiGene has been a pioneer of the China biotech industry, and has changed the perception that there is no innovative medicine in China. We have inspired many more biotech companies."
What is special about BeiGene culture that you want to preserve for the next 10 years?
"Our 'can do' mindset."
"In the next 10 years, I see us expanding our global presence—beyond our current offices with five in the U.S., five in China, and one in Europe, to have a significant footprint around the world not only physically but in impact as we transform how we can important treatments to patients who urgently need them so they can in turn transform their own lives."
"Each day the BeiGene team works incredibly hard to make a difference in the lives of those facing a cancer diagnosis and their families. That effort is my inspiration as is our mission to make sure that our fight against cancer is not bound by borders. Over the past 10 years and for the many years ahead, we will set out to change the industry for the good of people fighting cancer, no matter where they live."
"BeiGene has accomplished a tremendous amount in 10 years but it’s the people here that really set BeiGene apart from any other company. I am humbled every day by the insights, enthusiasm and genuine compassion that I see across all countries, job functions and levels here at BeiGene. We’re working together to make a difference for patients and it’s felt in everything we do. I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish together in the years to come."
"BeiGene consistently delivers on its commitment to people. Every employee has an opportunity to influence and shape our organizational culture. We developed tremendous relationships over the years, forged by our collective desire to make a demonstrable impact in healthcare."
"We have set up a record for a Chinese-born company that came to the U.S., and created a new, innovative business model, and were the first to do many things – that by itself speaks so much."
What three words would you use to describe BeiGene?
"No dogma, entrepreneurial, innovative."
"I look forward to the successes of first-in-class or first-in-combination drugs coming out of our pipeline that are discovered and developed by BeiGene scientists."
What three words would you use to describe BeiGene?
"Entrepreneurship. Hardworking. Creative."