Assistant General Counsel, Business Development
- Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school, and at least one state bar
- 10-15+ years of relevant experience at a leading law firm and/or in-house legal department of a biopharmaceutical or life sciences company, with experience in both preferred
We are seeking a highly accomplished transactional attorney with significant experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating complex licensing, collaboration and strategic transactions in the life sciences industry. This is a senior-level position. The most successful candidates will have experience at the partner or similar level at a top-tier law firm and/or as in-house counsel advising on, drafting and executing such transactions, with a high-volume and high-profile deal list.
- Serves as the primary attorney responsible for BeiGene’s strategic business development initiatives, including discovery, development and/or commercial-stage collaborations, in-bound and out-bound license agreements, M&A, joint venture, supply, manufacturing, distribution, quality, and safety agreements and ongoing alliances.
- Counsels on transaction structures and business terms; leads legal due diligence efforts; drafts and negotiates preliminary transaction documents, including term sheets, letters of intent, bid letters, etc.; and drafts, negotiates and closes definitive agreements.
- Works closely with BeiGene’s Business Development, IP, Finance, Tax, R&D, Regulatory, Drug Safety and Quality, Manufacturing, Commercial, and other key internal stakeholders.
- Possesses and maintains a strong working knowledge of licensing and collaboration structures, provisions, and “what’s market” for drug discovery, development, commercialization and manufacturing transactions (both large and small molecules).
- Possesses the ability to lead transactions without the assistance of outside counsel, and when working with outside counsel, oversees outside counsel to ensure quality, timeliness and efficiency.
- Provides ongoing legal support to BeiGene’s Business Development and Alliance Management teams responsible for multiple collaborations.
Potentially in future.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed. Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
Computer Skills: Efficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, MS Project, MS PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong leadership, negotiation, communication, drafting and interpersonal skills.
- Strong track record of successfully leading global and territory-specific business development transactions, including collaborations, licensing, M&A, joint venture, supply, manufacturing, distribution, quality and safety agreements.
- Working knowledge of biology and chemistry, pharmaceutical regulations, and patent and IP laws relevant to strategic transactions involving therapeutic drugs, particularly in oncology.
- Significant experience providing strategic, well-reasoned and insightful counseling on complex legal and business issues, with a focus on providing constructive solutions.
- Highly adept at resolving challenging legal issues and delivering sound, clear, and practical advice.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with key executives and business partners.
- Strong organizational and time management skills in order to balance working on multiple projects in parallel.
- Self-directed individual who is able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, high volume environment and meet deadlines.
- Highly effective communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to understand complicated laws and regulations and translate them into practical, business-oriented legal
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information using excellent discretion and judgment.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and be reliable and
- Ability to be flexible and willing to accept new responsibilities as
Travel: Up to 25%
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com